Saturday, August 26, 2006

Mauritania (Western Africa Coast)

MMauritania, has suffered a lots of political tourments, and almost annual "coup d'etats" since a decade! Its probably on its way again at some point this year, but people seem to have got use to it. It also has been in conflicts with Morocco, and Senegal, for economic and territorial difference!


Its also a 700 Km white sand beach sea front. Petrol has been recently found here, and of course, foreign companies have started emerging in the capital, encouraging a rise in price of everything! Hotels have now trippled their prices in some places! 25% of the Mauritanian population is in the capital Nouakchott, and the diversity ethnologic present here is impressive!

If you have Google Earth INSTALLED, Download this, and open it! :-)

Here (in the north of the country), you can find the longest trains in the world (G.earth click here), which relay the Fer mines cargos to the port!

This vast and infinite beach and green see so far retained most of my attention! But lets see what else there is when I return from the in-coutry trip (see map).
Distances across the country are huge, and tomorrow, when I'll leave for the begining of the mission, I'll hopefully be prepared for some of the longest trips by road I have ever done! "Aioun" is at more than 1000 Kms from Nouakchott, and all this as to be done in one go on the return! Youpiee!!! :)




Anyway, hopefully I will have a lot more picture soon! I'll be back on Wednesday, inshallah. But so far I really like this dry and desert country!

No comments: