Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Sleeping in the fear of an earthquake

Thought I would write something about the fear it makes to you when you are sleeping and spending time in a building which could be wiped out by a single earthquake. Lately, I am spending a lot of time in Islamabad. I am sharing a very ugly and poor flat with 3 of my collegues who are also working with my Team. The place is infested with caokroaches, mouskito's, and gas smells. In pakistan almost every heating systems works with city gas. However, the pipes in the buildings are just not up to any ISO convention like we would have elsewhere in Europe, but it is just home made pipes sometimes which just lead into each flat and end with a standard valve tap. Just like you would turn on the tap of a shower. Most of the time, and it is the case in our place, we only have a pipe coming out of the wall in case you need..... just turn the tap on accidently, and soon there will be no tap, no building... just that! On the other hand I have taken into account that the people here live differently and are use to these settings, therefore, it might just be as safe as bungee jumping! This tho, is not the thing that worries me the most at evenings. Last earthquake in October last year hitted the area I am living in, one of the building next door has collapsed and killed a lot of people, including some UN staff (6). Seeing the building, you would not beleive such a thing can happen, I'll take a picture whenever I can of what is left there. Having been in two pretty strong earthquake since I have started the mission, I am now very worried about sleeping at night. Most of the earthquakes happen at night while people are sleeping. It lasts for a second or 2 ! The move you feel when the first wave and its shock wave come beneth where you are is of an incredible power! It is not just bouncing everything around you and last for long like we see in the movies, but it usualy just send one big shock in the bulding and freaks out the entire city! Anyway, just wanted to say that I really feel sad for the people who have to live with it! I dont know if I could myself assume such a life where everynight you close your eyes, might be the last of your life.....

No comments: