Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Karakoram Highway & Skardu

Today is my first day of holidays. I have a head of me an other 5 days to relax and not think too much about work! I am now in Islamabad where I arrived yesterday, I was planning to do a great trip, but due to limited time to plan properly, and exhausted by the last few weeks of mission, I decided that I would remain calm instead of making my trip yet. Nevertheless, I still can start planning my trip for in 6 weeks when I get the next holidays. I apparently need to remain in Pakistan for an other 3 months.....yeah, I know, its a long time.... ;-) but thourgh, I love it here, just to beautiful to go yet. My plan is to visit the North eastern area of Pakistan. The one which makes the border with China/Tibet. I plan first to fly to Skardu, which is a little south east of Gilgit which sits at the gate of Hunza valley. Hunza is famous for its beautiful scenaries and temple. I Am hoping to spend my first night there in Hunza which is about 2 hours drive from Gilgit. (check this to know more: http://www.hunza.20m.com/).

After checking Skardu and what it has to offer, I will go along the KKH until I reach the Khunjera pass via K2 view point and through to China Xinjiang province.
K2 was succesfully summitted in 1954. Since then, there have been 189 summits. Forty nine climbers have died on K2, twenty-two while descending from the summit. In terms of the number of accidents that happen on the descent, it is the most deadly mountain in the world. The statistics for female climbers are particularly dramatic. Some even say K2 is "cursed" for women. Five women have reached the top, but of those 5, three died on the descent. (The other 2 have since died on other 8,000-meter peaks.)

Anyway, I am not intending to do any climbing, just thought these stats would give a bit more to K2 than just a name. I have enough with tower climbing! On the way to K2, there is apparentely a lot of unique views and peaks to pass by. There is also a large number of lakes and Glaciers which hopefully gives me some of the most amazing videos/photo shots.

I would have never through of being here in pakistan one day, even as a bag packer. Shame on me, this area of the world is just a pure blast of beauty and amazement from Nature! yeah, I know, the KKH doesnt end up just over the border in China, but if I keep on going this road, I might just not return to work afterall, I only have 6 days ;-)

Dream dream dream, take the dreams away from me, and I'll stop living!

;-)

No comments: